‘The behaviour of students is outstanding’ Ofsted 2014
‘Students are smartly dressed, polite and very proud of their academy’ Ofsted 2014
Burford School is a mixed comprehensive school committed to the highest standards in all aspects of the work and attainment of the students. We believe in equality of opportunity and do not select students according to ability. There are currently approximately 1,140 students at Burford with over 200 in the Sixth Form. Of these just under 100 are boarders from the United Kingdom and abroad.
Each year we hold an Open Evening in September when prospective parents and students have the opportunity to look around the school and talk to staff and current students. We also welcome prospective parents and students to visit on any normal working day to see the school in action.
Burford School can also be found in the Good Schools Guide.
Our Admissions Policies can be viewed on the Policies Page. If you have any queries, please contact our Admissions Officer, Mrs J Morse, by selecting Admissions from the drop down menu on the Contact Form, or call her on 01993 825320.
Key dates for Year 7 admissions to Oxfordshire Country Council schools
All our admissions, from both Partnership and Non-partnership school pupils, are handled by Oxfordshire County Council. Please visit the OCC website www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/admissions for more details regarding this process. Appeals are also handled by OCC.
- 31 October 2016 – Applications due in to OCC.
- 1 March 2017 – School places offered by OCC (email offers for online applications).
- 21 March 2017 – Confirmation to OCC accepting offer of place.
- 21 March 2017– Deadline for late applications
Year 6 transition procedure for students selecting Burford School
- Head of Year 7 and current Year 7 students visit Year 6 students in the Partnership Primary Schools.
- Head of Year 7 visits Year 6 students in Non-partnership Schools which historically send students to Burford. (Please ask the Headteacher of your child’s school to invite us if you plan to send your child to Burford and would like us to visit.)
- Welcome Pack One from Burford School to parents and students which includes:
- activities to support transition from Years 6 to 7
- a uniform list
- official forms (Biometric registration/Parentmail/individual music tuition etc)
- Transport information
- Pack Two with further information to Year 6 parents and students.
- Head of Year 7 and the Assistant Headteacher (Pastoral) visit forthcoming students from Year 6 in all Primary Schools.
- Orientation Day for Year 6 students from Non-partnership Schools. (See Entry to Year 7 from Non-partnership Schools below).
- Two Induction Days for all prospective Year 7 students (from Partnership and Non-partnership schools).
- Year 6 Parents’ Information Evening
- Year 6/7 Disco
Entry to Year 7 for students from Non-partnership schools
We welcome students who do not attend one of our Partnership Primary Schools and support every family’s right to request a ‘first choice’ school. All our admissions follow the criteria which are laid out in our Admissions Policy document.
Each year approximately 35% of our Year 7 intake comes from beyond our catchment area and we are sensitive to the importance of making those students feel part of the year group from the outset. Pupils from Non-partnership Primary Schools are invited to attend an additional Orientation Day, on top of the events listed above, to familiarise themselves with the school prior to the two Inductions Days to which all prospective Year 7 students are invited.
Admissions to Years 8-11
Parents wishing to apply for a place in Years 8-11 are invited to make an appointment to meet members of the school and be given a tour of the premises. Those considering a boarding place usually visit the day school premises before going down into Burford to see the Boarding House. Full details of the admissions process are provided following a visit.
Admissions to Years 12-13
Students and parents are invited to attend the Sixth Form Open Evening held each November. This is followed by a Taster Day giving students a clearer idea of life in the Sixth Form. They are then required to complete the Sixth Form Application Form (See below) and are invited for interview before the offer of a place is confirmed.
More details regarding the Curriculum, Bursaries, Enrichment and Results etc can be found under Sixth Form.
Key dates for Sixth Form Applications
Sixth Form Open Evening Thursday 1 December 2016
Sixth Form Taster Day Wednesday 14 December 2016
Submission of completed Application Forms Friday 9 January 2017
Interviews and offers of places March/April 2017
Induction Days 28-29 June 2017