Welcome to Year 9
The Head of Year is Mr Claydon: email@example.com. He is supported by a strong team of seven Form Tutors. The team can be emailed at any time to answer relevant queries or questions. Subject queries should be addressed to the subject teachers (see Curriculum for Heads of Department). For any other queries please see the full list of staff emails.
Key Academic Focus
In Year 9 the important process of choosing GCSE options and alternative pathways begins.
During Terms 1, 2 and 3, students discuss the most suitable choices for them with their tutors, subject teachers and Heads of Department. They are also supported in their decision making through a series of presentations, group discussions and interviews. The Careers Advisor, Mrs Knowles gives a presentation on the importance of subject choices on career opportunities and is available to discuss choices on an individual basis.
The main options process starts early in the New Year with a Year 9 Options and Parents’ Evening in February. Parents and guardians are encouraged to take an active part in the process.
By March students are able to make informed choices which are matched to their needs, abilities and skills and the selections made are timetabled to ensure the combination of choices can be met.
Qualifications gained at the end of Key Stage 4 are an essential springboard for students’ development as they play a large part in shaping future educational and career opportunities.
In line with government directives students are not permitted to take holidays during term time. Only in exceptional circumstances is the Headteacher able to sanction time off and adherence to this is essential for students to achieve successful learning outcomes.
- Review 1 – November 2016
- Charter Day – Friday 18 November 2016
- Year 9 Internal Exams – Monday 9 – Friday 13 January 2017
- TDP Injections – Wedensday 25 January 2017
- Review 2 – January 2017
- GCSE Options Talk – Tuesday 24 January 2017
- Options Booklet and Initial Choices Forms available – Monday 30 January 2017
- Intermediate Maths Challenge – Thursday 2 February 2017
- Options and Parents’ Evening – Thursday 9 February 2017
- GCSE Initial Choices Forms to Form Tutors –Wednesday 22 February 2017
- GCSE Final Choices Forms available – Monday 6 March 2017
- Numeracy Week – Monday 13 – Friday 17 March 2017
- GCSE Final Choices Forms due in – Friday 17 March 2017
- Review 3 – May 2017
- Junior Sports Day – tbc
- Lower School Prize Giving Evening – Thursday 15 June 2017
- Review 4 – July 2017
- Whole school cross-curricular day – Thursday 20 July 2017
Each year students choose a charity to support throughout the year. Students raise money for their chosen charity, raising awareness of the charity’s aims and projects in assemblies and through presentations..