GCSE Results 2019
‘The GCSE results this year are once again excellent and show the tremendous effort that our students have made. Achieving and exceeding the Governments targets for our headline results puts Burford School in the top 20% of all schools nationally. I am delighted that our student’s attainment and progress is so exceptional. This is a particularly pleasing set of results as the new GCSEs are so much more rigorous. I would like to thank my highly professional and committed staff who have worked hard to ensure our students get the best education.’
Achieving the FFT 20 targets for our headline figures (* in the table) puts the school in the top 20% of all schools nationally.
|5 A*- C / 9 – 4(inc Eng & Maths)||67% *||80%||76%|
|5 A* – G / 9 – 1(inc Eng & Maths)||100% *||100%||100%|
|English 9 – 4||80% *||90%||90%|
|Maths 9 – 4||78% *||84%||82%|
|Grades 9 – 7 (A*/A)||25% *||25%||24%|
|Progress 8||+0.20 *||+0.20||+0.15|
|Attainment 8 (average)||5.14 *||5.34||5.1|
|Number in cohort||193||177||206|
- 25% of all our GCSE grades were 9 – 7
- 105 students achieved at least one top grade
- 30 students achieved 7 or more 9 – 7 grades
- 23 students achieved 8 or more 9 – 7 grades
- 11 students achieved 10 or more 9 – 7 grades
The following students achieved 11 GCSE passes at A*-A/9-7 grades:
- Ethan Howard
- Ophelia Spracklen
- Eve Wightman
A-level Results 2019
|Number of students||70||95||122|
|% A*-E Grades||100||99||97|
|% A*-C Grades||83||72||76|
|% A*-B Grades||58||49||50|
|% A*-A Grades||31||26||20|
Once again students at Burford School have been celebrating some excellent A-level results.
‘We are delighted that our students have achieved another excellent set of results. We are particularly pleased to note that nearly half of all students achieved an A*/A in at least one subject with over three quarters of all grades being A* – C. The results are a reflection of the hard work our students and staff have put in over the last two years. This demonstrates once again what a consistently outstanding environment for learning Burford School provides.’
Mrs Kathy Haig Headteacher
- 44% of students achieved an A*/A in at least one subject
- 22 students achieved at least two A*/A grades
- 20% of all grades are A*/A
- 50% of all grades are A* – B
- Further Maths – 50% of grades A*/A
- Maths – 70% of grades A* – B
- Music 43% of grades were A*/A – which reflects the success of the Burford Institute of Music (BIM) and is one reason why Burford School has been awarded Platinum Artsmark – recognition that only a handful of secondary schools have achieved.
Four A*/A grades:
- Toby Connolley – Economics, Maths, Further Maths, Physics going to Leeds University to study Mathematics
- Isobel Landray – Biology, Maths, Further Maths, Extended Project going to Bath University to study Mathematics
- Hugo Wong – Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chinese going to Warwick University to study Mathematics and Statistics
Three A*/A grades:
- Funmilola Adeshina – Economics, History, Sociology going to Cambridge or UCL to read History
- Carrie Bright – English, Geography, Religious Studies going to Bristol University to study Geography
- Theo Genc – English, History, Maths going to study Law following a gap year.
- Phoebe Haywood – English, Religious Studies, Biology going to Exeter College, Oxford to study Classics.
- Harry Winks – Maths, Physics and Music going to study Music and Sound Recording on the Tonmeister course at Surrey University
Students accepted for Medicine
Abigail Netherwood & Lucie Robertson have both been accepted to read Medicine. Abigail will be going to Bristol and Lucie to Nottingham.