Key Stage 4 Options
This is the start of a very important stage in your son or daughter’s education. At the end of Year 9 students choose which subjects and courses they wish to study in Years 10 and 11.
It is essential that students select the most appropriate subjects and courses. Not only should students follow a pathway that contains subjects they enjoy and are most interested in, but they should also opt for the most appropriate subjects to give them a broad and balanced curriculum.
An overview of the options process
- Options booklets are distributed to all Year 9 students and their parents/carers at the end of January to give an overview of the process and subjects on offer. Please find a copy of the most recent booklet here.
- More detail is given at our Virtual Options Evening where a range of videos are provided covering all aspects from course content to how to submit option choices.
- GCSE Taster Day gives the students the chance to experience what subjects may be like to study in Years 10 and 11.
- The Parents’ Evening that follows allows an opportunity to discuss the student’s most recent Review and their suitability for studying subjects further.
- Options choices are submitted using the SIMS Parent App (www.sims-parent.co.uk) Please see the guide to using the app in our ‘Guide to using Options Online’ – as part of the Virtual Options Evening. If you have any problems with signing up or accessing the SIMS Parent App, please contact our data office: email@example.com
- Once choices have been submitted, option requests are timetabled. Typically 90-95% of students are offered their first choices, however some combinations may not be possible and alternatives are discussed on an individual basis.
- A confirmation of choices is provided to students by late March.
Should you have any queries regarding the options process please contact Mr D Pullin, Assistant Headteacher: Curriculum & Standards – firstname.lastname@example.org