The existence of strong links between schools and businesses is of benefit to all concerned. Over the years we have established links with a variety of businesses both locally and further afield. Many in the local community are keen to get involved in helping to develop and encourage our students as they step out of school and into the world of work.
Their involvement includes:
- offers of work experience placements with constructive overseeing and feedback for students in Years 10 and 12.
- participation in mock interviews for our Year 11, 12 and 13 students, helping to prepare them for college, university, apprenticeships and employment.
- presentations on topics of interest to students, either as a whole year group or within specific curriculum areas.
- supplying materials or loaning equipment for specific projects.
- supporting events within the school to provide a window into the world of work and an understanding of the realities involved.
We are a member of the Burford Chamber of Trade.
For the business community the benefits of their links to Burford include opportunities:
- to pass on their experience and expertise to the younger members of the community.
- to work directly with young people they may wish to employ.
- to assist in the development of skills to the benefit of their own businesses.
- to network and liaise with other business individuals within and beyond the community.
- the raise the profile of their business at school events and through the donation of items or awards.
- to build relations with key individuals responsible for the commissioning of on-site work at the school.
- to view the school facilities available for hire at first-hand.
Twice a year we hold a Business Breakfast to which we invite local business contacts. This is a chance for us to showcase some aspect of the work we are doing, to enhance students’ knowledge of the business world, for students to experience face-to-face contact with those in the business world and for individuals to network.
January 2021 – we hope to be able to resume our Business Breakfasts once Covid restrictions allow.
If you would like to be invited to our next meeting please contact our Company Secretary, Mrs Suzanne Reeve at email@example.com.
PSHE and the Sixth Form Enrichment Programme
The school’s PSHE curriculum brings students into regular contact with business and the Sixth Form Enrichment Programme invites speakers from the world of work to visit. Politicians, Peers from the House of Lords, individuals from finance institutions and government service providers all contribute to promoting strong links between the school and business.