Moving into Year 7
Transition to secondary school is one of the biggest and most significant changes in a child’s life. This is why, at Burford School, we place the utmost importance on getting it right to ensure all our new Year 7 students are happy, motivated and primed to be the best that they can be.
Our approach to transition consists of a bespoke programme of events that is tailored to enable all new students to feel the warm welcome Burford offers, and to develop an awareness and application of key attributes that make a good learner.
Annual cycle of events for all prospective Year 7 students
- Mr Cowley performs live broadcasts to our Partnership Primaries to give students a chance to ask questions
- Mr Cowley continues live broadcasts to our Partnership Primaries to give students a chance to ask questions
National Offer Date is Tuesday 1 March 2022
All responses must be made to OCC by 16 March 2022 confirm acceptance of the offer of a place.
Burford School Send Pack 1
Key documentation is sent to parents of all pupils who have been allocated a place in Year 7 for the following September. Items include:
- Mr Albrighton’s, Headteacher’s Welcome letter
- Mr Cowley’s, Head of Year’s Welcome letter
- Uniform list
- Official forms (Biometric registration and Parentmail)
- Transport information
- Parent & Guardian page
- Burford Plus (After school care)
- Young Carers form
- Individual Music Tuition form
- Mr Cowley sends key Transfer documents to all Primaries Schools to gain valuable information regarding teaching and learning. (Headteacher’s, Year 6 Teachers and SENCO’s)
- Mr Cowley meets students virtually via Microsoft Teams within their Primary Schools
Second place allocation date from OCC: Thursday 6 May 2022
Burford School Send Pack 2 which includes:
- Mr Albrighton’s, Headteacher’s letter
- Extensive 26 page Transition Booklet
- House allocation Information
- Transport details
- PTA Information Letter
- Mr Cowley meets with students and staff from our Partnership Primary schools for student questions
- Mr Cowley’s virtual meetings with Students continue via Microsoft Teams
- Mr Cowley, Mr Bassett and Miss Calcutt meet virtually with Primary School Headteacher’s, Year 6 Teachers and SENCO’s to discuss all students joining in September 2021
- SEN Booklet sent to Primaries specifically for SEN Students
- 1 & 2 July: Induction Day Visits for all Year 6 students joining the school in September.
- 1 July: Year 6 Virtual Parents’ Evening – 7.00pm Start – click link below to enter meeting:
Our Induction Day Video with virtual school tour sent to all parents of new cohort
It is understandable that during the current pandemic, in particular, students are likely to be feeling anxious and unsure about moving into secondary school, and may be disappointed that they are unable to spend much of Year 6 in school. We very much hope that things will shortly improve and we will be able to visit schools, and be visited by students, in person. If your child is anxious and would benefit from some support, Young Minds Charity have put together some excellent resources to help children prepare for transition, and also for parents, to support them in the early weeks at secondary school.
What will happen in September?
For the first few weeks of school the student buddies will be present to support the Year 7 students in between lessons and at social times. In addition, the Transition Team will pop into lessons throughout the term to check students are settling well and adjusting to secondary school life. Later in the autumn term parents will be invited to a Year 7 ‘Meet the Tutor’ evening when they can meet their child’s tutor and find out how they are settling in, both socially and academically.
Year 7s first few days at Burford
To give our new students a smooth start at Burford School, it is our usual practice that only Year 7 students, and those joining the Sixth Form, attend school on the first day in September. This enables them to begin to become familiar with the school without the usual hustle and bustle of a normal school day.
Last September, due to the cancellation of our Induction Days the previous July, we had an additional day for Year 7 only at the start of the new school year. Should we need to do this again in September 2021, parents will be given full details well in advance.
Please take a look at our short video, put together last year, to help reassure students in advance of their arrival here in September.
Useful documents & links
- Transition Booklet
- SEN Transition Booklet
- School Map
- Keep in touch via: