Moving into Year 7
The transition to secondary school is one of the most significant changes in a child’s life. This is why, at Burford School, we place the utmost importance on ensuring all our new Year 7 students are as prepared as possible for the next step in their educational journey through a bespoke programme of events.
Annual cycle of events for all prospective Year 7 students
- Mr Cowley (Head of Year 7) performs live broadcasts to our Partnership Primaries to give students a chance to ask questions
- Mr Cowley continues live broadcasts to our Partnership Primaries to give students a chance to ask questions
The National Offer Date is 1 March.
Burford School sends the first pack of key documentation to parents/carers of students that have been allocated a place in Year 7 for the following September. Items include:
- Headteacher’s Welcome letter
- Head of Year’s Welcome letter
- Uniform list
- Official forms (Biometric registration and Parentmail)
- Transport information
- Parent & Guardian page
- Young Carers form
- Individual Music Tuition form
- Mr Cowley sends key transfer documents to all Primaries Schools to gain valuable information regarding the teaching and learning of students
- Mr Cowley meets students virtually via Microsoft Teams within their Primary Schools
Second place allocation date from OCC is in May (Date TBC)
Burford School sends the second pack of key documentation to parents/carers of students that have been allocated a place in Year 7. Items include:
- Headteacher’s letter
- Transition Booklet
- House allocation information
- Transport details
- PTA information letter
- Mr Cowley meets with students and staff from our Partnership Primary schools for student questions
- Mr Cowley’s virtual meetings with students continue via Microsoft Teams
- Mr Cowley, Mr Bassett and Miss Calcutt meet virtually with Primary School Headteachers, Year 6 Teachers and SENCOs to discuss all students joining in September 2023
- SEN Booklet sent to Primaries specifically for SEN Students
- Induction Day Visits for all Year 6 students joining the school in September.
- Year 6 Virtual Parents’ Evening
If your child is experiencing anxiety about their move up to secondary school, the charity Young Minds has put together some excellent resources to help children prepare for the transition and to help parents/carers support them. Please do view these resources here.
What will happen in September?
To give our new students a smooth start at Burford School, it is our usual practice that only Year 7 students, and those joining the Sixth Form, attend school on the first day in September. This enables them to begin to become familiar with the school without the usual hustle and bustle of a normal school day.
Please take a look at our short video (introduced by our Headteacher, Mr Albrighton), put together last year, to help reassure students in advance of their arrival here in September.
In addition, for the first few weeks of school, the student buddies will be present to support the Year 7 students in between lessons and at social times. Also, the Transition Team will pop into lessons throughout the term to check students are settling well and adjusting to secondary school life. Later in the autumn term, parents will be invited to a Year 7 ‘Meet the Tutor’ evening when they can meet their child’s tutor and find out how they are settling in, both socially and academically.
Useful documents & links
- SEN Transition Booklet
- School Map
- Keep in touch via: