Moving into Year 7
Transition to secondary school is one of the biggest and most significant changes in a child’s life. This is why, at Burford School, we place the utmost importance on getting it right to ensure all our new Year 7 students are happy, motivated and primed to be the best that they can be.
Our approach to transition consists of a bespoke programme of events that is tailored to enable all new students to feel the warm welcome Burford offers, and to develop an awareness and application of key attributes that make a good learner.
Annual cycle of events for all prospective Year 7 students
Live broadcasts to all nine partnership primary schools.
Newsletter to all nine partnership primary schools.
National Offer Date is Monday 1 March 2021
All responses must be made to OCC by 16 March 2021 confirm acceptance of the offer of a place.
Key documentation is sent to parents of all pupils who have been allocated a place in Year 7 for the following September. Items include:
- Headteacher’s Welcome letter
- Head of Year’s Welcome letter
- Uniform list
- Official forms (Biometric registration/Parentmail etc)
- Transport information
- Parent & Guardian page
- Burford Plus (After school care)
- Young Carers form
- Individual Music Tuition form
Mr Cowley contacts primary schools:
- to gain valuable transfer information regarding teaching and learning. (Headteachers, Year 6 Teachers and SENCo)
- to answer student questions
Second place allocation date from OCC: Thursday 6 may 2021
- Headteacher’s letter
- Residential Trip information
- Extensive 26 page Transition Booklet
- Transport details
- PTA Information Letter
- Mr Cowley meets with students and staff from our nine partnership primary schools for student questions.
- Orientation Day for Year 6 pupils from non-partnership schools who have been allocated a place in Year 7.
- 1 & 2 July: Induction Days for all Year 6 students joining the school in September.
- 1 July: Year 6 Parents’ Evening
- 2 July: Students’ Activity Evening (disco/games/BBQ)
- The alternative to our induction days is our Induction Day Video with virtual school tour.
- A Q&A Session is held on Facebook Live with Mr Cowley, Head of Year 7 & Miss Skerten, Assistant Headteacher – Pastoral.
- Newsletters sent to Primary Schools – activities and messages linked to Burford.
- Literacy Events such as reading chapters to students.
It is understandable that during the current pandemic, in particular, students are likely to be feeling anxious and unsure about moving into secondary school, and may be disappointed that they are unable to spend much of Year 6 in school. We very much hope that things will shortly improve and we will be able to visit schools, and be visited by students, in person. If your child is anxious and would benefit from some support, Young Minds Charity have put together some excellent resources to help children prepare for transition, and also for parents, to support them in the early weeks at secondary school.
What will happen in September?
For the first few weeks of school the student buddies will be present to support the Year 7 students in between lessons and at social times. In addition, the Transition Team will pop into lessons throughout the term to check students are settling well and adjusting to secondary school life. Later in the autumn term parents will be invited to a Year 7 ‘Meet the Tutor’ evening when they can meet their child’s tutor and find out how they are settling in, both socially and academically.
Year 7s first few days at Burford
To give our new students a smooth start at Burford School, it is our usual practice that only Year 7 students, and those joining the Sixth Form, attend school on the first day in September. This enables them to begin to become familiar with the school without the usual hustle and bustle of a normal school day.
Last September, due to the cancellation of our Induction Days the previous July, we had an additional day for Year 7 only at the start of the new school year. Should we need to do this again in September 2021, parents will be given full details well in advance.
Please take a look at our short video, put together last year, to help reassure students in advance of their arrival here in September.
Useful documents & links
- Transition Booklet
- SEN Transition Booklet
- School Map
- Keep in touch via: