Welcome to Year 8
The Head of Year is Mr Wright: email@example.com He is supported by a strong team of ten Form Tutors. The team can be emailed at any time to answer relevant queries or questions. Subject queries should be addressed to the subject teachers (see Curriculum for Heads of Department). For any other queries please see the full list of staff emails.
Key Academic Focus
Year 8 is when students build and extend what has been established in Year 7, working hard towards their end of KS3 exams. The school has an extensive range of opportunities open to students and every student is encouraged to participate in a variety of activities outside the curriculum.
Every year in secondary education is important and students in Year 8 need to build on their knowledge, skills and understanding from the previous year and develop these further in order to ensure continued success.
The priorities for the year are:
- to preserve the good study habits, routines and behaviours established in Year 7 so that students are able to work and learn to their full potential. Student progress and attainment is closely monitored throughout the year and parents are notified through regular Reviews, Parents’ Evenings and, if necessary, through personal letters.
- to prepare thoroughly for the end of year examinations so that students can gain results commensurate with their ability and potential.
- to experience new skills and build new friendships through the extensive range of extra-curricular opportunities available; discovering new and unfamiliar activities and developing current favourites.
Burford Plus – Helping make life easier
From Monday to Thursday we offer an extended day, until 8.00pm. This is to accommodate the needs of busy parents who may, due to work commitments etc, not always be on hand at the end of the normal school day.
Burford Plus offers students the opportunity to join the boarders and make use of the facilities within the Boarding Department. Tea and supervised homework is included together with the opportunity to take part in a range of evening activities organised by the boarding staff.
In line with government directives students are not permitted to take holidays during term time. Only in exceptional circumstances is the Headteacher able to sanction time off and adherence to this is essential for students to achieve successful learning outcomes.
Criteria for Achievement
Since September 2016 the assessment and reporting system for students in Year 7 has been based on how much progress they make from a starting point. This method of assessment continues into Year 8. On the reports sent home to parents there is a target colour band for each subject rather than a grade. Your son or daughter will make expected progress for the year if they remain within this target colour band. Each subject has a set of criteria for each target colour band so students know what they are aiming to achieve. The criteria will also help students set themselves a target after each review point.
Following each review all students will have learning discussions with their subject teachers and tutors about how to maintain progress and how to move learning forward. You will be able to see the target set by your son or daughter, under the guidance of their subject teacher, in their subject books.
- Review 1: November 2017
- Charter Day: Friday 17 November 2017 (Half day holiday)
- Day’s Holiday: Friday 24 November 2107
- Review 2: January 2018
- Pastoral Forum: Tuesday 1 February 2018
- Numeracy Week – Monday 12 – Friday 16 March 2018
- Parents’ Evening: Thursday 17th May 2018
- HPV injections: Thursday 19 April 2018
- Internal Exams: Monday 4 – Friday 8 June 2018
- Lower School Prize Giving: Thursday 28 June 2018
- Year 7 & 8 Disco: Tuesday 3 July 2018
- Junior Sports Day: Wednesday 11 July 2018
- Review 3: July 2018
Each year students choose a charity to support throughout the year. Students raise money for their chosen charity, raising awareness of the charity’s aims and projects in assemblies and through presentations. This year ‘s charity is Cancer Research.