Welcome to Year 9
The Head of Year is Mr Craig: firstname.lastname@example.org He is supported by a strong team of nine Form Tutors. The team can be emailed at any time to answer relevant queries or questions. Subject queries should be addressed to the subject teachers (see Curriculum for Heads of Department). For any other queries please see the full list of staff emails.
Key Academic Focus
In Year 9 the important process of choosing GCSE options and alternative pathways begins.
During Terms 1, 2 and 3, students discuss the most suitable choices for them with their tutors, subject teachers and Heads of Department. They are also supported in their decision making through a series of presentations, group discussions and interviews. The Careers Advisor, Mrs Knowles gives a presentation on the importance of subject choices on career opportunities and is available to discuss choices on an individual basis.
The main options process starts early in the New Year with a Year 9 Options and Parents’ Evening in February. Parents and guardians are encouraged to take an active part in the process.
By March students are able to make informed choices which are matched to their needs, abilities and skills and the selections made are timetabled to ensure the combination of choices can be met.
Qualifications gained at the end of Key Stage 4 are an essential springboard for students’ development as they play a large part in shaping future educational and career opportunities.
Burford Plus – Extended Day Care
From Monday to Thursday we offer an extended day, until 8.00pm. This is to accommodate the needs of busy parents who may, due to work commitments etc, not always be on hand at the end of the normal school day.
Burford Plus offers students the opportunity to join the boarders and make use of the facilities within the Boarding Department. Tea and supervised homework are included together with the opportunity to take part in a range of evening activities organised by the boarding staff.
In line with government directives students are not permitted to take holidays during term time. Only in exceptional circumstances is the Headteacher able to sanction time off and adherence to this is essential for students to achieve successful learning outcomes.
- French Trip: Saturday 21- Tuesday 24 October 2017
- Review 1 – November 2017
- Charter Day: Friday 17 November 2017 (Half day holiday)
- Holiday: Friday 24 November 2107
- TDP & Meningitus Immunisations: Thursday 25 January 2018
- D & T Parents’ Forum: Thursday 25 January 2018
- Review 2: January 2018
- Pastoral Forum: Thursday 1 February 2018
- GCSE Options Talk: Friday 9 February 2018
- Options Booklet and Initial Choices Forms available: Monday 19 February 2018
- Options and Parents’ Evening: Thursday 22 February 2018
- GCSE Initial Choices Forms to Form Tutors: Friday 2 March 2018
- GCSE Final Choices Forms available: Friday 16 March 2018
- Numeracy Week: Monday 12 – Friday 16 March 2018
- GCSE Final Choices Forms due in: Friday 23 March 2018
- Lower School Prize Giving: Thursday 28 June 2018
- Year 9 Internal Exams – Monday 2 – Friday 6 July 2018
- Work Experience Talk: Tuesday 10 July 2018
- Junior Sports Day: Wednesday 11 July 2018
- Work Experience Assembly: Friday 13 July 2018
- Review 3: July 2018
Each year students choose a charity to support throughout the year. Students raise money for their chosen charity, raising awareness of the charity’s aims and projects in assemblies and through presentations. This year ‘s charity is Guide dogs UK.