‘By the end of Year 13 students reach standards that are well above national averages’ Ofsted 2014
Sixth Form entry requirements 2018-19
In order to follow the Traditional or Applied Level 3 pathway student must meet the following entry requirements:
- Traditional pathway: the minimum entry requirements for students studying two or more ‘A’ Levels are two Grade 6 and four Grade 4 passes at GCSE.
- Applied pathway: the minimum entry requirements for students studying two or more BTEC/L3 Diplomas are five Grade 4 passes at GCSE.
- A merit grade at Level 2 BTEC is equivalent to a Grade 6 at GCSE.
- Students who have gained below a grade 4 in Mathematics and/or English Language will study a one-year re-take course.
Please refer to individual subjects for specific entry requirements.
A thriving community
Welcome to the Burford School Sixth Form, a large and thriving community of over 200 students with an outstanding academic record. Every year we welcome many students from within the school, from other schools and from abroad, all of whom enrich the Sixth Form experience. Our considerable resources and committed staff enable us to fulfill our main aim, which is to help all our students achieve their potential.
Whilst our Sixth Form places great value upon educating the whole person we always have in mind that our main priority is to enable students to achieve their academic potential. In October 2014 we were inspected by OFSTED who commented: ‘Students make good progress in the Sixth Form because of consistently good teaching’. This academic success forms part of what makes Burford Sixth Form special. We are committed to providing outstanding educational opportunities for all our students.
A broad and rich curriculum
Our wide range of 31 ‘A’ level and BTEC courses means that we offer a broad curriculum to suit all needs and interests. With our outstanding advice and guidance, students leave the Sixth Form for a range of further and higher education courses. Together with the Careers Department we give help and advice on applying for University, including taking students on visits, reading personal statements and holding mock interviews. Every year a large proportion of our students achieve places at top Universities, including Oxbridge and the Russell Group.
For those who choose to move on to work placements or into apprenticeships there is extensive advice available to ensure that these aspirations are achieved.
A rounded education
The Sixth Form is rightly renowned for its extra-curricular activities and many students join the Sixth Form from other schools specifically to benefit from these. There is a rich range of activities to get involved in and a whole programme of enrichment events in which all students participate. Our aim is to develop well-rounded, confident and ambitious individuals with a broad range of experiences, who are able to take their place in society. Students are encouraged to grow in maturity by developing independent study skills and the quality of resilience essential for success.
The Sixth Form Centre
We seek the best for every student in the Sixth Form by providing them with excellent facilities and the highest level of support and care. The purpose built Sixth Form Centre hosts a large common room with access to wi-fi, two private study rooms and a computer suite.
Sixth Form Dress Code
In the Sixth Form students are no longer required to wear uniform, but are expected to be presentable and smart in their appearance. There is a Sixth Form Dress Code which all students are required to follow.
Arrange a visit
The vast majority of our Year 11 students move on into the Sixth Form where they are joined by others from a variety of different schools and by students from abroad. Prospective Sixth Form students are invited to visit the school on a normal school day to see it in operation. Visitors are given the opportunity to see around the whole of our extensive site, to visit the Sixth Form Centre and talk to members of our Sixth Form Team. We also hold an Open Evening in November, followed by Taster Day in December, before students apply for a place in early January.
Key school dates for Sixth Form students – 2017-18
- Year 12 First Day of Term: Tuesday 5 September 2017
- Year 13 First Day of Term: Wednesday 6 September 2017
- Launch of Young Enterprise: Thursday 14 September 2017
- Genes for Jeans Charity Fundraising: Friday 22 September 2017
- Year 12 ‘Meet the Tutors’ Evening: Wednesday 27 September 2017
- Macmillan Coffee Morning: Friday 29 September 2017
- Apprenticeship Convention: Thursday 19 October 2017
- Year 13 Review 1: October 2017
- Year 12 Review 1: November 2017
- Charter Day: Friday 17 November 2017 (Half day holiday)
- Upper School Prize Giving Evening: Friday 17 November 2017
- Holiday: Friday 24 November 2107
- Year 13 Mock Exams: Monday 8 – Wednesday 17 January 2018
- Year 12 Higher Education Conference: Thursday 18 January 2018
- Year 12 Review 2: February 2018
- Year 13 Parents’ Evening: Thursday 8 February 2018
- Year 13 Review 2: March 2018
- Year 12 Parents’ Evening: Thursday 22 March 2018
- Year 12 Mock Exams: Wednesday 25 April – 1 May
- Final Day for Year 13: Friday 25 May 2018
- Year 13 ‘A’ Level Exams: Monday 4 June – Friday 29 June 2018
- Higher Education Parents’ Evening: Thursday 21 June 2018
- Year 13 Leavers Dinner: Friday 29 June 2018
- Year 12 Review 3: July 2018
- Year 12 Work Experience: Monday 16 – Friday 20 July 2018
- ‘A’ Level results: Thursday 16 August 2018
Sixth Form Staff
Ms E Denny – Head of Sixth Form – firstname.lastname@example.org
Mrs C Rose- Head of Year 12 – email@example.com
Form Tutors – Year 12
12SFR Mr S Frankcom – firstname.lastname@example.org
12SFU Mr S Fulford – email@example.com
12ALE Mrs A Lenton – firstname.lastname@example.org
12SLO Mr S Love – email@example.com
12KSC Miss K Scott – firstname.lastname@example.org
12CWI Mr B Williams – email@example.com
Form Tutors – Year 13
13HCH Mrs H Chilton – firstname.lastname@example.org
13CDA Mr C Daglish – email@example.com
13RFO Mrs R Ford – firstname.lastname@example.org
13TPA Mrs T Parker – email@example.com
13ATO Mr A Todd-Jones – firstname.lastname@example.org
13RWA Mrs R Watts – email@example.com